Monday, August 31, 2009

Injured arm sob story

I never really noticed how much I used my right shoulder, until I injured it back in July. Yes, I was acting like a 13 year-old boy by sword fighting with my cousin, but anyway, it was healing nicely for about a month. Then I aggravated it by painting a couple of walls in my house in early August. It was recovering from that soreness when it was re-injured last week in a series of unfortunate but fortunate events. Yes, I am being vague on those details, but the point I am trying to make is that sometimes something isn't appreciated fully until it is no longer there, i.e. a fully functioning Ac joint of a right shoulder.

When I can't do the things I want to do with it, I try it anyway and wind up just hurting myself more. I am trying to be a good patient, it's just hard to keep my dominate arm even slightly immobilized. My doctor tried something new today called Kinesio tape with the hope that my arm may heal quicker. Kinesio tape, depending on how it is applied, can either inhibit or strengthen muscles.

He hopes that with the tape in place my arm can get that little bit of extra support it needs without the pains I have been having trying to strengthen the injured area.

Hopefully, this different treatment method may see some positive results. In the meantime, I'll just keep trying not to over-use my arm, though it's kinda hard to do with two kids and a stick-shift, but oh, well. I've see people with more severe injuries do a heck of a lot more than that.

No comments: