Friday, August 28, 2009

Benji's First week of First Grade

When Benji came up to greet me outside the school on his first day of 1st Grade, his head was hung low and tears were forming in his eyes. He walked up to Brinlee and I and started crying.

Apparently, one of his friends from Kindergarten, said he didn't want to be friends anymore and it broke Benji's tender heart. "He betrayed me," said my sobbing child. After giving him some reassuring words and lots of motherly advice on the way home, he stopped crying and was chipper by the time we got to our house which is when these pictures were taken. Check out his cool "Transformers" shirt and shoes and his "Cars" backpack.







It was a big day for little sister too!





The second day Benji was somewhat melancholy after school got out because no one played with him at recess, but by day three things started to look up. Day four he seemed rather happy and then today (Friday) he was all smiles and even went to a friend's house after school to play.

I was so worried after those first few days but as the week passed he was able to find new friends and rekindle friendships with other kids he knew from last year. I was praying that things would work out for him and I think he will do just fine.

Brinlee and I did well with all of our one-on-one time while Benji was at school, but the real test will be next week when he starts going to school until 3:10 p.m. This week he was only there until 1:05 p.m. each day.

Wish us well.

1 comment:

Carly said...

Yay Benji!! First grade is HUGE!! Love you guys!!