Sunday, June 28, 2009

Broken toe

I recently broke a toe, the one next to the big one. In my case, thanks to a genetic trait known as Morton's toe , that toe happens to be longer than the big toe by a small fraction. It hurt when it happened and it still hurts today. Thus, I decided to whine about it on my blog.

How it happened

While on a peaceful walk deep in the woods of a nearby canyon, I suddenly heard the noisy engine of a four-wheeler. I quickly got off the main trail, but just as the ATV was about to pass in front of me, I saw a squirrel run onto the trail and knew that if I didn't act, it would be killed. Just as I stepped forward to nab it, my right foot hit a huge rock that was sticking out of the dirt and crack!!! My toe was broken.

Actually, it was my left foot and I was was planting flowers in my grandma's garden and hit it with a shovel. Pretty lame, huh.

But what really happened was even lamer. I simply tried to climb up the stairs in my house too quick and thwack! My left foot kicked the front of the bottom stair and that was that. I didn't even swear... well at least not out loud... I think... I mean, I hope.

And then as if having one hurt toe somehow made my body seem off balance, I was at an Art's Festival Saturday and while sprinkling some salt and pepper on some roasted corn on the cob for Benji, out of no where I felt this sharp pain in the tip of big toe of my right foot and when I looked down there was a toothpick sticking out of it. GROSS! It had probably been in someones mouth who hadn't brushed their teeth since they were five. I had to yank it out and the puncture wound hurt the rest of the day.


There now I've displayed two gross foot pictures in one day. My work here is almost finished.

I just had to add this little toe-bit, I mean tid-bit.

When my cousin Austin was little he hurt his foot but not knowing how to describe the pain he felt he said, "I have a headache in my toe."

I think I have a migraine.

3 comments:

S and M said...

That sucks. I have had a toothpick stuck in foot before too. It hurt and it hurt to pull it out, it was really stuck. I had to yank hard to get it out, so I fully understand what pain you're going through. If you need any help or just want to come over and hang out, do.

Sara said...

Karen, you're hilarious :) No wonder you got a degree and a job in the field of writing! I'm sorry about your toe - yuck. That story reminds me of a time we went to Grantsville for the 4th of July, but first I had to go to the hospital to get a huge splinter pulled out of my fingernail. Do you remember that weekend??

Kyli said...

your so funny! thanks for making me laugh! love ya