Friday, May 8, 2009

Something to think about

A dear sweet neighbor friend of mind once gave me a book called "The Art of Abundance." It's a book about becoming more aware of the many gifts and blessings God gives us. Occasionally I like to flip through the book for it's many small pick-me-ups and while doing so this evening I came across this gem:

"Letting go of expectations is a big part of the art of abundance. Expectations dictate the way we think God's goodness should come to us -- what kind of box life is supposed to come in. But that limits what God can do in our lives, because He is a God of surprise and diversity and wonder. The only boxes God likes are surprise packages! Our box of expectations labeled "what should be" can become a trap. True abundance welcomes the surprises of life." --Candy Paull

On the same page was this quote:

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking . . . is freedom." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Why and how these quotes struck me, I'm not exactly sure but I do feel that right now it is important for me to look forward to the future with hope and to not fret over what new obstacles, problems or "surprises" may come my way.

No comments: